Sunday 10 October 2010

Doom & Gloom

As feared, the arm joint on my pumpkin man broke meaning I had to make it again


The new body was coming along nicely. I had made it slightly chunkier and I repositioned the arm joints as I had not done this on the last model






But, pine being pine and breaking easily along the grain, I screwed up and broke the arm joint





I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with this model. I shall keep the parts I have made so far and might give it another go when I get some lime wood. Pine is too unreliable (or maybe I'm too rough with it). Plus, I've already made one model so I'm not sure if I need to do one more. I'm going to concentrate on the Turtle and the Hand model and I think I'm going to enter that automata competition. I am also thinking of doing some work involving tin cans and tin in general but I have no experience in working with tin or how to solder it. It's good to have a challenge. 

I also need to get some more dowel. I was previously using softwood dowel but this wasn't good enough so I need hardwood dowel. But, I cannot find this in my town so I'm going to have to order it online. 

I sometimes wish I lived in America where wood carving is a more accepted past time and there are more stores to cater for it. I'm constantly finding it difficult to get decent materials in England and the cost is pretty high.

No comments:

Post a Comment